English

From the history of the library

As time went by…

From the history of Vsetín librarianship before establishing MVK

The Masaryk Public Library was established on 2nd February 1921. The decision to its establishment dates to 7th March 1920 when within the framework of celebrations of the 70th birthday of T.G.Masaryk the Town Council decided to "open immediately The Masaryk Public Library containing over 800 volumes".

 

If we want to learn about the beginnings of librarianship in Vsetín, however, we have to turn to documents from the second half of the 19th century, mainly to materials concerning activities of various associations. Despite the fact that in the 19th century Vsetín was only a small out-of-way mountain town, there were some associations here. The first club in Vsetín and in the whole former legal district was the singers´ association "Mannergesansverein" which applied for registration in 1859 and was granted permission by the Moravian governor. This association was German-Czech, dominated by German officials from the administration of the Vsetín manor, officials of both state and religious offices.

 

The German readers´ association "Casino" was established in 1861. There were only few Germans in Vsetín, however, therefore Czechs were taken in and thus helped with the retention of a German reading-room in Vsetín with their contributions. At least they pushed through exposition of "The Moravian Eagle" and "The native" among German magazines.

 

The first really Czech association was the readers´ association "Public Beseda" established in 1863. There were Czech books and magazines laid out in a broader extent and the honest, neighbourly life attracted also Germans so the association had more of a bilingual character combining the Czech and German intelligence. As a part of it a theatre and singing divisions were established.

On the general assembly of Casino on 26.3.1871 Czechs seceded from the association so there were only Germans left who immediately discontinued the exhibition of Czech magazines. Older citizens did not like this national spite. The young generation therefore seceded also from the Czech Beseda and established a new, fresher and purely Czech association "The Educational Association Snaha" in Vsetín on 27th April 1872. The cultural officials, among them also the principal of the district Dr. Josef Chytil, then met in concord with vicars of all three denominations existing in Vsetín, doctors, teachers, officials and younger citizens of all estates. The readers´, educational and later also singers´, theatre, tourist and sport divisions of Snaha were established. Snaha then became one of the most active associations in Vsetín.

 

Attached to the reading-room of Snaha, where there were soon exhibited about 40 Czech political, educational but also entertaining magazines, the first library, aimed at the wide public in Vsetín, was open in 1880. Thanks go mainly to teacher Josef Úlehla and doctor MUDr. František Sova. In 1900 the library had 2.550 books from which 1.740 were borrowed. There were libraries of other associations (which were mainly lending books for free to their members and for some fee to other readers) and partially also private libraries that contributed to education of inhabitants.

On 11.3.1913 joint associations lead by The Educational Body opened the first public reading-room in the house of Josef Vinkler No. 320 on the Downtown Square.

A fundamental turn in the development of Vsetín librarianship happened after the World War I. The first attempts to establish a public library appeared already in 1918. The idea was brought to life after the issue of The Public Libraries Act (1919) which laid the duty to all municipalities to establish public libraries.

 

1921 - 1939

The newly established Masaryk Public Library started operating on 2nd February 1921. The fundamental part of the library consisted of the book fund of the association Snaha (1.315 publications). The library was, for the time being, situated in the assembly room of the Town House (until 1932 when it was moved to the house of J. Bubela on the Palach Street, No. 152). The Municipal Committee appointed the following members of the Council of the Library: František Brodský, Bohumil Lehký and L. Pospíšilíkovou, the regional Educational Body appointed Malvína Nekvindová and Richard Pavlík. F. Brodský was elected the chairman of the library, R. Pavlík the acting secretary, V. Bečka the treasury official, B. Lehký the librarian who was in 1922 confirmed by the Ministry of Education as the librarian of the Masaryk Public Library in Vsetín.

 

The 1920´s are characterized with the attempt for the cultural development of the nation. New schools were being built (often with great financial problems), new newspapers and magazines were published (for example the independent weekly "The Public Newspaper" since 1927 and the cultural bulletin "Our Wallachia" since 1929). Opening of the Town Gymnasium was an important cultural event in Vsetín. The first class was opened in the school year 1928 - 29 in the building of The Upper School. "The Masaryk Gymnasium" got its own building only in 1932.

The Masaryk Public Library had 15.526 book-loans in the first year. It had 700 readers and 2.652 volumes in its funds. Total incomes made 7.750,- Kčs, expenditures 7.732,- Kčs. There was no reading-room at that time.

 

Except the town Masaryk Public Library there were other libraries in the town (for example The Regional Unit of the Czechoslovak Legionnaire Community had a library with 170 volumes in 1931 in which legionnaire and liberation literature predominated), other associations also established their own libraries (for example The Voluntary Firemen Corps) - it is difficult to find an association not having an article about establishing a library in their constitution. The libraries of associations, however, contained only a limited number of volumes and served the needs of their members.

As to 31.12.1932 The Masaryk Public Library had precisely 4.405 volumes of "entertaining and didactic" books. 16.007 volumes were lent to 662 readers. In 1932 (as already mentioned) the library was finally moved to the house of J. Bubela in the Palach street No. 152. The library only had one room and stayed like that until 1947.

 

Even though the activities of the library were in no way reduced (even holding lectures started to develop), the number of book-loans gradually decreased in this pre-war period. The continuing economic crisis as well as the deteriorating political situation certainly made themselves felt also in this way.

 

1939 - 1945

The Masaryk Public Library was forced to exclude many of its books from lending services already at the beginning of the occupation, it was the same in the libraries of schools and associations - many associations were prohibited (for example Sokol the library nor the archive of which was saved from the Nazis). Librarian B. Lehký retired in 1939 and instead of him came teacher Stanislav Lakota. At that time the library already had 6.700 volumes.

 

In 1940 the name of Masaryk had to be omitted from the name of the gymnasium as well as of the library. Strict Germanization started and German pressure on the national culture, literature, theatre, film, music was also strong. All which recalled pre-war constitutional system had to be abolished and all cultural activities that survived during the war had a strong anti-German character.

Because the number of inhabitants in Vsetín increased thanks to prospering Zbrojovka over 10.000 in 1940, the municipal educational body was established, in addition to the already existing district educational body, and it took over the organization of cultural activities in the town.

 

The Masaryk Public Library had 14.047 book-loans in 1940, e.g. 25% more than in the previous year. Nevertheless the German offices were badly wreaking havoc in Czech libraries. Further discarding of books was going on, all volumes with legionnaire literature, all books with democratic and anti-Nazi character, all books of authors of the Jewish origin, books of authors from countries that were enemies of the Germany, publications of Masaryk, publications mentioning the Czechoslovak Republic and many books of Czech authors had to be excluded from lending services. Only older worldly renown authors were left. Yet Nazi literature, both original and translated, was propagated, number of German books increased, the library had to buy them mainly in the germanized publishing company Orbis in Prague. But there was no demand for these books. The book funds in public libraries were monitored by district councils according to lists produced by the Germans. Excluded books had to be wrapped, sealed and later sent to the district council. The Municipal Public Library thus lost at least 2.000 books. Only 1.123 of them were returned after the liberation. (Let us add, however, that nothing from the next waves of discarding in the 1950´s, 1960´s, and 1970´s was returned back to the Vsetín library).

 

1945 - 1951

Very shortly after the liberation, on 30.5.1945 about 100 delegates from various local associations met to establish a cultural committee called the cultural council for organization of the cultural life in the town. On 12.12.1945 the library council of The Masaryk Public Library was re-established. Ing. Miroslav Veselý was elected the director. After the departure of the municipal librarian St. Lakota to borderland, a new librarian was appointed through competition - Zdeněk Ruda, a native, graduate of the state librarian school. Thus since 1945 a qualified librarian has held this post as his permanent full-time job.

 

The library was, however, still operating in an unsuitable building, in only one room. The number of book-loans diminished - in 1945 the library had 7.595 volumes, 611 readers and 21.589 book-loans. In 1946 an extensive inspection was conducted, excluded volumes - about 2.000 - were donated to the jail library in Vsetín.

 

In September 1947, after long discussions (the municipality started considering new location of the library shortly after the war), the Masaryk Public Library moved to four rooms in the second floor of the club house of Zbrojovka in the Jirásek Street. It was equipped with new furniture but this location was only provisional. The old building in the former Thonet factory was not the ideal place for books and readers, not to mention the dilapidating walls of the building.

 

The year 1948 brought many changes that made themselves felt on political as well as civil life. The communists took over the power everywhere and except for them only those willing to cooperate with the communists could find a good position. At the beginning of April 1948 local educational council was re-established. Also the library council of the local public library was re-established. On 1.9.1948 the municipal reading-room was opened as attached to the Masaryk Public Library supplied with all important periodicals (including those in foreign languages). The reference library with publications from various scientific fields, encyclopaedias, albums, tourist guides and language dictionaries was also established as attached to the reading-room. At the beginning the reading-room was visited mainly by students, it took longer for other citizens to get used to it.

 

In 1948 The Masaryk Public Library in Vsetín had 1.015 registered readers, 37.201 book-loans and 9.673 volumes. It was given praising acknowledgment for exemplary provision and operation of the library and the reading-room by the regional inspection because of increased book-loans and the opening of the reading-room with 71 magazines and 220 volumes of the reference library.

In 1949 The Masaryk Public Library obtained three branches in addition to the main building. The branches were established from municipal libraries integrated by the municipalities of Rokytnice, Jasenka and a part of Semetín.

 

The cultural activities in the town were supplemented by activities of various associations - there were 64 of them in the town (249 in the district), the associations had a long tradition and granted space for voluntary interest and educational activities. The first libraries were well indeed libraries of associations. Despite that most associations were forcefully abolished in the 1950´s because their activities were allegedly "of no importance to present time". The cultural activities were mainly organized in clubs of establishments of ROH (The Revolutionary Trade-Union Movement) with which libraries often cooperated.

 

1951 - 1969

The year 1951 shows most of the typical symptoms of the 1950´s. The importance of collective work, socialist motives, competition were emphasized, stage-managed judicial proceedings continued. In libraries the so called "escapist" literature was being subdued consistently because it was literature that "drives man from the socialistic thinking and thus hinders his/her development". The Masaryk Public Library was re-named The District Public Library and was hit by further discarding (1st during occupation, 2nd in 1949, 3rd in 1951). The legionnaire, anticommunist literature, the "capitalist literature of the West", detective stories, publications of emigrants but also trash literature were discarded. 381, later 659 books were discarded from the Vsetín library. The library council of the public library and of the reading-room was cancelled in the same year.

 

In 1951 an innovation was introduced - self-service choice of books, first in the educational literature, later also in fiction. Poetry, drama and the music fund (with musical notes and books about music - the basis of the future musical department) were placed separately . There was an independent department for children with self-service choice in the library.

 

The library was, however, still operating in unsuitable rooms and even though it was often pointed out the ceiling broke down in 1951 so the library was closed for two months. There was further discarding of books, among others the works of T.G.Masaryk because of its "negative attitude toward dialectic materialism and toward communism" (total of 1.709 volumes.

The year 1954 means the beginning of consistent methodic work. In this year an independent methodic recess attached to the District Public Library (DPL) was established and the workers from DPL very often visited village libraries, helped them with introducing library technique, methodical paper was being published to help the village libraries, and so on.

 

The number of cultural-educational events organized by DPL was constantly increasing. Their subject range was very wide - from discussion meetings about literature or with writers to musical events, meetings motivated by various anniversaries or educational activities (from the fields of cosmonautics, books of travels, regional history, fine art, astronomy, and so on).

 

The problem of unsuitable location of the library stayed unsolved. The building in which the library was situated was old, plaster was falling down from the walls, the ceiling that once already fell down, was repaired only provisionally. The librarians attempted at remove of the library but they were successful only in 1957. Yet the solution was again only provisional. The library was moved to a building in Svárov where it has been situated up until now yet only a part of the ground floor belonged to it so the department for children and the reading-room could not get in so they were both moved to the Dukelská Street in 1958. The separation of the reading-room and the children department had a negative effect - both on the number of readers and also from the point of view of the librarians (the need to transport books, librarians had to be always running from one place to another, and so on). A music school and a children´s clinic were also situated in the building. The music school moved in 1965 so the library obtained the second and the third floors where finally the reading-room and reference library and the methodical department were moved. In 1966 the department for youth was established (one of the first in the North-Moravian Region) and in 1968 musical department was opened. The department for children was later moved to a new residential area into the House of Services in Luh (at the beginning of the 1960´s).

 

The pressure on the political and the ideological activities of libraries was increasing: discussion meetings were focused on Soviet literature with mainly "enthusiastic" subject (How steel was hardened), on atheist and agricultural subject (collectivization was very slow in Wallachia for the strong resistance of inhabitants) but the attendance of such events was decreasing. It has to be added, however, that the library did not organize only this kind of activities it was also trying to hold meetings with writers in whom there was interest among public - for example Zd. Pluhař, M. Podešvová, B. Četyna, K. Korejs, Z. Zguriška, K. Lazarová, F. Horečka, J. Procházka. Yet even these events were often poorly attended. This was a general phenomenon, the interest in culture, concerts, theatre and even cinema lowered in general.

 

In the 1960´s the development of methodical work continued on a professional level. Until 1960 the initial Vsetín district had 27 public libraries in 27 villages and towns. In 1960 a new Vsetín district was created with 81 libraries in villages and towns belonging to the district. The beginning of consistent methodical and briefing activity caused a steep increase in book-loans in public libraries which ceased in 1969 when there was the first bigger decrease of book-loans (probably as a reflection of social-political processes undergoing in our country at that time). Uniform librarian technique was gradually introduced in the district, DPL attempted at creating a united net of libraries in the district, plans were made for 12 center libraries that were gradually constituted during the 1970´s.

 

1969 - 1990

It is very difficult to write about the 1970´s because you can read about the real librarian work in all documents only between the lines. In all materials there are mainly facts about how the library was politically active. Also most activities organized by the library had to have it stated in the title: at the occasion of the 55th anniversary of the Big October Socialistic Revolution, at the occasion of the .....anniversary of the February 1948, liberation, MČSP, and so on.... The content of the meeting or a lecture, however, always depended on the quality of the librarian or the lector and it needs to be said that a satisfied reader was always the aim of librarians and that they always tried to make their efforts subordinate to it as far as possible.

 

In 1970 the name The District Public Library was changed to The District Library which was used until the end of 1990. Until 1951 the Vsetín library was managed by the municipality, since 1951 the administration was taken over by the district council. (The library and other libraries in the district stayed under the administration of the district - The District National Committee, later The District Office until 1996 when the delimitation of libraries took place - see below).

 

In 1971 The District Library started to build systematically a department of the regional literature attached to the study room. This results in a new duty (apart from hitherto fund with 500 volumes of fiction and professional literature about Wallachia collected by the library since 1964) to collect and file in archives publications published in the district. Since 1971 informational files of the region were created through excerption of regional periodicals.

 

On 12.11.1973 an important event took place: a new department for children was solemnly opened in The House of Services in Trávníky and children from Vsetín thus got already second residential area library. In the same year an independent department of political literature was opened in The House of Political Education. This department was cancelled in December 1989.

The year 1974 was an end to the book-loan fees in all public libraries (the first attempt to cancel fees dates to 1961-64) - library services thus became free. Cooperation with different kinds of libraries strengthened (mainly with the libraries of the Revolutionary Trade-union Movement, in schools and also in hospitals and museums). Discussion meetings held in the department for youth - in the youth club that came into existence in 1969 - were becoming more and more popular. The subject matter of the meetings was familiar to the young people and the meetings therefore had very high attendance.

 

The editing activity of the library was also developing in the 1970´s, we can find its roots in the previous years (propagation leaflets, inventories of literature but also information about the library in local and expert periodicals). Thematic bibliographies to political, literary, and cultural anniversaries were published, this activity continued in the 1980´s when these materials were used mainly by high school graduates to-be for their preparation for both oral and written high school leaving examinations.

 

Besides literary evenings with writers, literary discussion meetings and cycle programs with regional subject matter, programs from the field of fine arts, travelogue meetings which the library as traditionally organized, new forms of work with readers started to appear, such as library lessons - informative preparation of students for an independent orientation in the library. Besides cooperation with schools cooperation with the pioneers´ organization was developing. Yet this cooperation was not very successful (children and the pioneers´ leader often did not come for the meeting). Work with a group of children who were interested in the work of librarians, under the title "The Young Librarian - Professional PO", was more successful. On the basis of good experience from previous years the library started a new form of work with children of the pre-school age in the attempt to make them future readers - "a cycle of discussion meetings aimed at literary and esthetic education of children in pre-school age in kindergartens". This form was very well accepted in kindergartens in Vsetín and the interest was higher than what librarians could satisfy.

 

Finally, in 1979 the library got the whole building in Svárov, the childrens´ clinic from the ground floor was removed (the unsuitability of coexistence of health-service institution and the library in one building had been pointed out for a long time) so a total reconstruction of the building of the library in Svárov could be started. The building was incidentally unfit for use. Therefore individual lending departments were closed, opening hours restricted. All the departments were gradually moved to The Small Gallery attached to the library for children in Trávníky (which had to stop operating for the time being). Despite the cramped space the librarians tried to do their best to meet the demands of readers. The library was solemnly opened after the reconstruction in 1981.

In June 1979 The District Library introduced a new system of central control of public libraries in the Vsetín district on the basis of a decision of the Council of the District National Committee. Professional departments of The District Library applied the system of direct control over 7 branches (former central libraries - Horní Lideč, Kelč, Nový Hrozenkov, Rožnov, Velké Karlovice, Valašské Meziříčí, Vsetín) and over 81 former village branches.

 

In 1982 the scope of services provided by the Vsetín library was further broadened - on 18.10.1982 a new children´s department was opened in Rokytnice. Besides the very well equipped lending library a permanent small gallery of artists of the Wallachian region was set up here.

 

From the important events of the 1980´s let us name at least The Day of the Children´s Book in Vsetín, as a part of the regional Week of the Children´s Book in Opava, an inter-regional seminar with the subject "Libraries in the System Youth and Culture" where librarians from North and South Moravia shared their experience in work with young people.

All libraries were gradually equipped with practical and nice librarian furniture during the 1980´s, many libraries were moved to more suitable buildings, uniform librarian technique was introduced and the libraries in the district in general got a nice esthetic face - including paintings, works of art, flowers and other details that were the last touch to the character of the libraries. This was the time of joint working groups and mutual help in the libraries (racks, books, furniture often had to be moved, cleaning after paint up was needed, and so on).

 

1990 - 1998

The contemporary Masaryk Public Library had different names over the years: 1. The Masaryk Public Library (1921-1940), 2. The Municipal Library (1940-1945), 3. The Masaryk Public Library (1945-51), 4. The District Public Library (1951-1969), 5. The District Library (1970-1990).

 

With the return to its initial name "The Masaryk Public Library" in 1991 a new spirit blew through the library. Many changes occurred.

 

Since 1991 Horní Bečva and its surroundings were separated from the Rožnov region. The Town Library in Rožnov lost its building (in restitution) and obtained the building of a former kindergarten in the Bezruč Street that was reconstructed and opened on 17.12.1993. Many libraries were moved and many modifications were necessary - Střelná, Lidečko, Choryně, Kladeruby, Huslenky, Hovězí, Vidče, Bynina, Loučka, Veselá, and so on. In 1991 a new chidren´s department was opened in Valašské Meziříčí in the Grammar School Na Vyhlídce. The Small Gallery in Trávníky, Vsetín was cancelled and the room was rented to a bookshop because all bookshops in Vsetín had been cancelled at that time. The Vsetín Library obtained the building Pod Klenbou from the District Office where the department of the elaboration of the book fund was moved and thanks to new free rooms in the Svárov building stores of the book fund could be enlarged and the antique bookshop was opened. The department for youth and the music department merged.

 

The scope of services and activities increased mainly in town libraries: copy service, videocassettes and CD loans, another lending day - Thursday, developing cooperation with handicapped citizens, new opening hours on Saturday morning.

 

Discussion meetings and other activities focused mainly on introducing literature unavailable up till now. An exhibition of the exile and samizdat literature was organized, discussion meetings with Jindřiška Smetanová, Karel Vysloužil and others who could not publish their works took place, periodicals with literary subject were excerpted to provide both librarians and readers with the latest information from the field of literature, up-till-now unavailable books were searched for.

 

In 1991 readers´ fees were introduced (single - paid at the registration ). The first computer for the library (for the economic agenda) was bought in this year.

In 1992 the computer librarian system Smartlib was purchased. The town branch in Ohrada was cancelled (too high rent).

The number of book-loans as well as of readers decreased fundamentally in 1991 and this trend continued in 1992. Besides the logical explanation - changes in the political climate affected also the activities of libraries - there were other reasons: according to instructions of the State Scientific Library in Ostrava prolonged book-loans were not included in the total statistics of book-loans and the decrease of the number of readers can also be reasoned by the introduction of readers´ fees in 1990 (the whole family often uses one identity card).

In the 1990´s the purchase of the book fund became more complicated. The breakup of the book whole sale put heavy demands on the orientation of librarians in the offer of many newly established publishers. Many more titles were being published so even though the appropriations on books were slightly increasing, it was impossible to buy everything. Therefore - as opposed to previous years when titles were purchased in more copies, only one copy iss purchased now. The central purchase was cancelled, individual librarians working in the libraries buy books - which brings both advantages and disadvantages.

 

In 1992 sound library for visually handicapped citizens was opened (in the rooms of the children´s library in Trávníky, Vsetín and in the Town Library in Rožnov as well) the association "A Man To a Man" is operating in Valašské Meziříčí attached to its library, concentrating on help to all handicapped.

In 1992 a district literary contest "A man on this planet" was organized, there were 17 applications. The jury members of which were PhDr. V. Justl, M. Trávníček, a K. Vysloužil was very content with the literary level of most of the works.

 

In 1993 the decrease in the number of readers still continued but the number of book-loans was increasing. So the faithful readers stayed and they read more - the offer was also much richer than before. The number of children readers was, however, diminishing and there were also many more temptations children were not used to before (the variety of TV programs, computers, and so on...).

In February 1993 the library of the Establishment Club in Zubří and the library in Old Zubří merged with the Masaryk Public Library. Both these libraries were close to abolition even though they played the role of a public library in this largest village of our district.

In this year discussion meetings with very interesting people took place: with Ota Filip, Czech writer living in Munich, politician Jiří Pelikán, photographer Jindřich Štreit, exile journalist Milan Komínek.

In 1995 the long closed library in Študlov was opened.

 

Also in this year we could meet interesting people: writer Michal Viewegh, sociologist PhDr. Jiřina Šiklová, MUDr. Buzek (sexual education), writer Jan Kostrhun, MP M. Hubová, musicians J. and B. Rokyta and the director of the Rožnov open-air museum PhDr. J. Štika.

 

The number of readers stayed the same and the number of book-loans was increasing rapidly - in 1995 libraries in the Vsetín district had 22.979 readers and 1.060.715 book-loans.

The year 1996 meant a fundamental turning point in the existence of libraries in the Vsetín district. Since the proportion of incomes of the District Office that financed libraries of the whole district up till then changed to the benefit of towns and villages, the municipal offices upon recommendation of the District Office claimed libraries under their administration. On 1st July 1996 the libraries in Valašské Meziříčí and in Rožnov were separated from the Masaryk Public Library.

 

During the second half of the year 1996 (on 1st January 1997) all other libraries in the district were gradually separated from the Masaryk Public Library.

All libraries have been doing very well after the separation and after solution of many adjoining problems and friendly relations among librarians have continued.

In 1997 and 1998 a big step on the way toward full automation - mainly thanks to RISK - grants from the Ministry of Culture - was made. The Masaryk Public Library started to lend books with the help of bar codes in all departments. The automated lending process was started in Rožnov and in Valašské Meziříčí. Other professional as well as some small non-professional libraries in the district are gradually being equipped with computers and are being automated.

 

The cooperation and communication of all libraries in the Vsetín district is ensured by the Regional Library Service Centre, which was established in 1997 by the Masaryk Public Library in Vsetín. (It was financed by the District Office in Vsetín in the years 1997 - 2000, and since 2000 it has been financed from state grants for regional functions - in accordance with the new Library Law No 257/2001.) In view of the fact that the grants for library fund purchase in the individual libraries range from 0 to 38 Czech Crowns per 1 inhabitant, the Regional Library Service Centre has focused apart from computer and software help mainly on providing district circular files, which circulate around the district libraries and in this way make the local library fund complete.

In 1998 the Masaryk Public Library started to publish an information bulletin.

 

1999 - 2009

In the first decade of the new millennium, libraries have been developing and using computers and Internet technology on a large scale. The Masaryk Public Library has been no exception. This boom in modern technology has been welcomed in particular by the youth. In conjunction with equipping public libraries with computers, the Internet and software, the middle and older generations were in need of training to help them use all this modern technology. The Masaryk Public Library has organized many computer, Internet and software training courses for the general public as well as target groups at risk of social exclusion (e.g. the unemployed, seniors, parents on paternity leave, and groups of children and youth at risk). We have created an educational cycle of lectures including "Seniors' Year of Learning"; creative activities entitled "Vacation Libraries" for children and youth; and seminars with psychologists for parents.

Since 1999 the library has organized and conducted: "A Small Ball for a Book"; "Uncle Juráš's Treasure Hunt"; a children literary contest; "Seniors Day"; and has supported folk tradition awareness (e.g. Vallachian Christmas, Vallachian Easter); and taken part in national campaigns (e.g.: 'March, the month of the Internet', 'A Night with Andersen'; 'A Week of Libraries'; 'A Week of Reading'). The impact of these activities has been felt on a broader scale than just on registered readers; it has been meant to touch the whole of Vsetín's citizenship.

The emphasis on computing and information technology education support has been gradually shifting onto the support of reading, especially in the case of children since we know that children, in particular, are reading less.

The library has co-operated on several projects with various partners. 'Let's Go For A Family Trip', 'Good News', 'The Twelfth Night Festival' and 'A Live Bethlehem', to name a few, are examples of these.

The number one priority in 2006 was the long anticipated move from the old location in Svárov, where the library had been for 49 years, to a spacious glass building in the town square, which was financed by EU funds.

Over time, statistical figures have shown that the change of location has been crucial for its popularity; all of the figures have increased by 20-30%, which is impressive considering the fact that we live in times when reading itself is on a decline.

Stránka byla naposledy upravena 30.10.08 11:10Zpět nahoru